Our new enquiry has a history focus looking at some key explorers from the past, whilst also considering what the word explore means. If you click here you can find out about lots of different explorers from the past and learn about what they achieved. Below you will find pictures of the two explorers we are going to look at in class. If you click on each picture you can find out more about them.
This is Neil Armstrong. Can you guess what he explored?
- Neil Armstrong was born on 5th August 1930 in Wapakoneta, Ohio.
- He was really interested in flight and he managed to get a student pilot’s license when he was 16. He was able to fly a plane before he could drive a car!
- He studied aeronautical engineering at Purdue University. He was on a US Navy scholarship.
- In 1949, during his time at Purdue, he was called up to fight in the Korean War. He was a US Navy pilot and successfully completed over 75 combat missions.
- After the end of the Korean War, Neil Armstrong returned to university and finished his studies.
- He joined NACA (which later became NASA – National Aeronautics and Space Administration), testing aircraft (such as the X-15 rocket plane) and working as an engineer.
- Neil Armstrong joined the astronaut program in 1963, moving to Houston, Texas.
This is Christopher Columbus. What do you think he explored?
[whohit]explorer enquiry page[/whohit]