At Unsworth Primary School we have worked as a whole staff to build our own “Unsworth” curriculum for the children we teach. Our curriculum is matched to the statutory National Curriculum Programmes of Study as set out by the government, but we have put together our own enquiry approach. Essentially this approach provides the children with a key question to answer, which hooks them into their learning so that it has a real purpose.
Throughout our enquiry curriculum subjects are weaved together to make strong learning links, whilst opportunities to use technology and learning outside the classroom are also integrated. The main purpose of our school curriculum is to ensure that children in our school are taught to become:
- Independent learners, who question the world around them and make decisions about the resources or technology they need to use.
- Articulate communicators, who can present their learning in a range of different ways.
- Collaborative learners, who can work as part of a team and understand the meaning of our school motto of “Together we build Understanding”
- Reflective thinkers who analyse different situations and scenarios.
- Thoughtful contributors who are able to discuss what they want to find out and share what they have learnt.
On our main menu bar you will see a tab entitled “Curriculum” and within that part of our website you can find out detailed information about each specific subject area and the content covered by each year group. We hope that through using our curriculum tab you can get a flavour of the learning that takes place in our school, but for further information do visit our children tab where you can visit each year group’s page, read our class teachers weekly blogs or take a look around each classes current learning page that links to what the children are currently exploring in class.
Download our non-negotiable year group overviews below: