As part of our school golden jubilee celebrations our whole school PE enquiry in Spring 2015 focused on the idea of dance through the decades. The title for the whole school enquiry was:
How has the ‘school dance’ changed in 50 years?
Over two weeks, staff, children and parents worked together with students from Bury College to combine music, fashion and dance routines from different decades to celebrate “50 years of learning”.
The aim of this enquiry was for the children to:
- Know that there are different dance styles, which reflect different decades
- Understand that dancing is a skill, which can be improved like any other, can often involve co-operation and is a social activity
- Understand dance has many health benefits, is a form of exercise and can be fun
- Explore the skills associated with dance. ( varying speed of movements and levels, using gestures, characters, actions to convey moods or feelings in relation to skills for each year group )
- Experiment with a range of different dance steps,, whilst partaking in music appreciation activities that focus on moods and feelings created by specific pieces of music
- Develop an understanding of how music, dance and fashion are important ways to express a persons individuality.
- Evaluate and adapt dances of their peers, themselves and of others e.g. video clips focusing on the use of key vocabulary and skills for each year group based on success criteria created with the children
- Understand the meaning of performance by contributing to a class dance which reflects the decade chosen
The culmination of this enquiry was an ‘Unsworth Comes Dancing’ event where each class performed a dance reflecting dance steps, styles, music and fashion related to a specific decade. Our year 6 introduced each class and explained what they had worked on. Our hall was set up as an old style dance hall, with rows of seats arranged at the side and parents were invited in to experience the performances. To open each performance, all the staff performed a decades mash up dance with year 6.
Have a look at the gallery below to see our whole school enquiry in pictures!