Welcome to the Year 4 Space!
If you click on the blog link next to year 4 in the curriculum tab above, you will see a weekly update of what Year 4 have been up to.
In Year 4 children are encouraged to work with increasing independence. Children are encouraged to choose their own resources to complete tasks. They use the displays to assist them with their learning eg. using spelling displays, number facts, ideas for writing inspiration and examples of shared pieces of work.
Day to Day Routines in Year 4
- Home reading books are changed when your child needs to change their book.
- P.E. takes place on Thursday and Friday afternoon. The Friday session will be swimming. Please ensure your child’s name is on every item of clothing.
- Enquiry homework tasks are set every other Friday and are due in by the Wednesday before the next task is set. Your child should spend no longer than 45 minutes on this task. Maths homework will be sent home each week.
- Spelling sessions will take place daily. Spellings will be given out at the end of each half term. There will be no weekly tests.
Over the year the children will explore key topics within Science. Some of the topics will link with the current enquiry being covered, however some will run as a separate enquiry. The topics stated in the new National Curriculum for Year 4 are as follows:
- Living things and their habitats-How can living things be classified and grouped?
- Animals including humans-How does the digestive system work? What is a food chain?
- States of matter-How do materials change state?
- Sound-How are sounds made? What patterns are there in sounds?
- Electricity-How are circuits made? Why are some materials insulators and some conductors?
Enquiry Curriculum Themes
Across the year the children will cover a range of enquiries, which can be seen below and one whole school enquiry each term. Click here to download a detailed subject overview of the year 4 curriculum.
What was the impact of the Roman invasion and settlement on Britain?
How would you describe the people and landscape across Europe?
What was it like for the different classes travelling on board the Titanic?
Why does it rain?
What was life like in the Shang dynasty?
How are rainforests affected by deforestations?
For further information about Year 4 have a look at our Information leaflet which can be downloaded from the homework page in the parent section or click here to download a copy of the year 4 curriculum non negotiable leaflet.