Welcome to the Year 5 Space!
If you click on the blog link next to year 5 in the curriculum tab above, you will see a weekly update of what Year 5 have been up to!
Year 5 strives to create confident, independent and organised learners, who are prepared for the transition to year 6 and SATs. As part of this, children have a number of roles and responsibilities around the classroom. Children are encouraged to work independently, but also collaborate in pairs or small groups. Children will get the chance to sit with a variety of different children across the year to develop their relationships with their peers. Year 5 is a fun and supportive environment where children learn both cooperatively and independently.
Displays are used to celebrate children’s work, to provide prompts, to stimulate their learning and to encourage children to make the right choices in terms of their attitude and behaviour.
Day to Day Routines in Year 5
- Home reading books are changed as children finish reading their book.
- PE takes place on a Tuesday and Wednesday. Children will need suitable trainers if we do PE outdoors. Please ensure your child’s name is on every item of clothing.
- Enquiry homework tasks are set every other Wednesday and they will be due in on the Monday before the next task is set.
- Spelling sessions will take place daily. The same spellings will be given each week for the children to work on at home. There will be no weekly tests.
- Brass Music lessons take place on a Tuesday afternoon and children must ensure that they bring their instrument each week.
Over the year the children will explore key topics within Science. Some of the topics will link with the current enquiry being covered, however some will run as a separate enquiry. The topics stated in the new National Curriculum for Year 5 are as follows;
- Living things and their habitats-How are the lifecycles of different types of animals different?
- Animals including humans-How do humans change as they grow older?
- Properties and changes in materials-What is the difference between solids, liquids and gases?
- Earth and Space-How do the earth, sun and moon move?
- Forces-What is gravity, air resistance, water resistance and friction?
Enquiry Curriculum Themes
Across the year the children will cover a range of enquiries, which can be seen below and 1 whole school enquiry each term. Click here to download a detailed subject overview of the year 5 curriculum or click here to download a copy of our year 5 non negotiable curriculum leaflet.
Who were the Anglo Saxons?
Could I live in the Arctic?
What can we find out about the Ancient Egyptians from what has survived?
How do volcanoes and earthquakes affect local people?
How has Unsworth changed over time?
How is Japan different to the UK?
What have we been up to?
Have a look at some of our activities from the Autumn Term
Click the pictures below to play some games!
Dance Mat Typing
Grammar Glossary and Quiz