Welcome to the Year 6 Space!
If you click on the blog link next to year 6 in the curriculum tab above, you will see a weekly update of what Year 6 have been up to!
Throughout the year, the main focus in Year 6 is about supporting pupils to become confident, organised and independent learners , so that children are prepared for the transition to high school . As part of this, children in Year 6 have the opportunity to carry out a number of positions of responsibility around the school. Children are seated in mixed ability groups when they arrive in the morning and throughout the afternoon. Reading, Writing, Spelling and Maths are taught in ability groups.
The children in Year 6 will be taught by Mrs McLoughlin. Children are encouraged to work independently, but also to collaborate in pairs or small groups.
Day to Day Routines in Year 6
- Home reading books are changed weekly.
- PE takes place on a Tuesday and Wednesday.
- Enquiry homework tasks are set every other Friday and are due in by the Thursday before the next task is set.
- Spelling sessions will take place daily. Spellings will be given out each week. There will be no weekly tests.
Over the year the children will explore key topics within Science. Some of the topics will link with the current enquiry being covered, however some will run as a separate enquiry. The topics stated in the new National Curriculum for Year 6 are as follows:
- Living things and their habitats-How are living things classified into broad groups from observable characteristics?
- Animals including humans-How does the circulatory system work? How are nutrients and water transported within animals?
- Evolution & Inheritance-How have animals and humans changed over time ?
- Light-Does light always travel in a straight line? How does the human eye work?
- Electricity-How can different components be used to make different circuits?
Enquiry Curriculum Themes
Across the year the children will cover a range of enquiries, which can be seen below and one whole school enquiry each term. Click here to download a detailed subject overview of the curriculum in year 6 or click here to download a copy of our year 6 non negotiable curriculum leaflet.
What kind of a living thing am I?
What was the impact of the Battle of Britain on local children?
How have animals and plants adapted to their environment?
Are all mountain ranges across the world the same?
How do we see things?
How did the Vikings and Anglo Saxons struggle for the kingdom of England?
How does the human body work?
How does America change over North America the further North you travel?
How does changing components affect a circuit?
How did the Mayan civilisation compare with others of the time?
How are we evolving?
How does Mexico city compare with others around the world?
What have we been up to?
Watch this space for galleries of what we have been up to.
Click the pictures below to go to some useful links
KS2 Bite Size Revision
Grammar Glossary and Quiz
Click here to visit the National Geographic site, which is great for a range of geographical facts.