Year 5 strives to create confident, independent and organised learners, who are prepared for the transition to year 6 and SATs. As part of this, children have a number of roles and responsibilities around the classroom. Children are encouraged to work independently, but also collaborate in pairs or small groups. Children will get the chance to sit with a variety of different children across the year to develop their relationships with their peers. Year 5 is a fun and supportive environment where children learn both cooperatively and independently.
Day to Day Routines
- PE is on a Tuesday and Friday.
- Children should be reading at home least 3xtimes a week for 15-20 minutes. Reading books need to be in school every day.
- Books can be changed as and when children have finished reading them as most of class are free readers and choosing from class library. Reading records need to be signed by parents and in school every Friday so I can monitor reading is happening at home and to also keep a check on groups who are still on scheme books.
- Homework will be sent on a Wednesday and needs to be returned on the date given.
- Spellings books in every Monday - children will have their own list of HFW (5 or 6) which they need to learn for a mini quiz every Monday. new spellings will be chosen every Monday.
Due to the Coronavirus Pandemic, this years Year 5 will complete the swimming program missed in year 4. More details about this will be released once we are able to confirm that the sessions can take place.
Supporting Learning at Home