Throughout the year, the main focus in Year 6 is about supporting pupils to become confident, organised and independent learners , so that children are prepared for the transition to high school . As part of this, children in Year 6 have the opportunity to carry out a number of positions of responsibility around the school. Children are seated in mixed ability groups when they arrive in the morning and throughout the afternoon. Reading, Writing, Spelling and Maths are taught in ability groups.
Day to Day Routines
- P.E. days are on Tuesday and Wednesday afternoons. The children should attend school in the appropriate clothing suitable for either indoor or outdoor P.E.
- The children can change their reading books whenever the need to change it. There is no set day. Please promote daily reading.
- Reading books should be brought in and taken home daily.
- Spelling books should be brought in and taken home daily.
- Homework will be given out on Fridays. Topic work homework should be returned on the Wednesday (12 days after given out)
- 3 Maths SATS books should be returned each Friday. (The children will be set a specific page from each book)
Y6 get the opportunity to undertake a residential at Robinwood. This usually takes place in the autumn term, but due to the Coronavirus pandemic, this has currently been postponed following national advice. It has been provisionally moved to March 2021, but more information will be shared about this when it is confirmed.
Supporting Learning at Home.