The Unsworth Curriculum
At Unsworth Primary School we have worked as a whole staff to build our own “Unsworth” curriculum for the children we teach. Our curriculum is matched to the statutory National Curriculum Programmes of Study as set out by the government, but we have put together our own enquiry approach. Essentially this approach provides the children with a key question to answer, which hooks them into their learning so that it has a real purpose.
Throughout our enquiry curriculum subjects are weaved together to make strong learning links, whilst opportunities to use technology and learning outside the classroom are also integrated. Throughout our curriculum we have looked at ensuring equality is an integral part of our design through considering not only the content of the curriculum taught, but also the way in which it is delivered to ensure that it is fully accessible for all, including pupils who have SEND. The main purpose of our school curriculum is to ensure that children in our school are taught to become:
- Independent learners, who question the world around them and make decisions about the resources or technology they need to use.
- Articulate communicators, who can present their learning in a range of different ways.
- Collaborative learners, who can work as part of a team and understand the meaning of our school motto of “Together we build Understanding”.
- Reflective thinkers who analyse different situations and scenarios.
- Thoughtful contributors who are able to discuss what they want to find out and share what they have learnt.
- Seekers of knowledge, who see learning as a way to understand the world in which they live, which in turn helps them to become socially mobile.
- Risk takers, who take themselves out of their comfort zone to challenge their thinking and take on new experiences.
By clicking on the links below you can find out detailed information about each specific subject area and the content covered by each year group. We hope that this will give you a flavour of the learning that takes place in our school, but for further information do visit each year group’s page by going to the children's tab or have a look at our Twitter feed @unsworthprimary.